68K Medical Laboratory Specialist
Company: Army National Guard
Posted on: March 10, 2019
The ASVAB isn't the only test that matters in the military. A Soldier's tissue, blood, and body fluids also need to be tested to detect and identify diseases. As a Medical Laboratory Specialist in the Army National Guard, you will perform these clinical tests that the healthcare team will use to diagnose, treat, and prevent illness of their patients.
In this role, you will examine blood and bone marrow samples; test for bacteria or viruses; and analyze tissue, blood, and fluid specimens for diagnostic information.
• Perform elementary blood banking and clinical laboratory procedures in hematology, immunohematology, clinical chemistry, serology, bacteriology, parasitology, and urinalysis
• Collect blood specimens by venipuncture and capillary puncture
• Pack, unpack, inspect, store, and distribute blood products
• Assemble, disassemble, and maintain laboratory equipment
Some of the Skills You'll Learn
• Medical laboratory procedures
• Study of human parasites and diseases
• Laboratory administration and record keeping
• Interest in biology, chemistry, and algebra
• Ability to follow detailed procedures precisely
Through your training, you will develop the skills and experience to enjoy a civilian career with privately owned laboratories, hospitals, clinics, or research institutions. The certifications available to you after continued study and experience are medical laboratory technician, cytotechnologist, and clinical laboratory technician. Specific educational criteria must be met before you can qualify for certification.
Earn While You Learn
Instead of paying to learn these skills, get paid to train. In the Army National Guard, you will learn these valuable job skills while earning a regular paycheck and qualifying for tuition assistance.
Job training for Medical Laboratory Specialist consists of 10 weeks of Basic Training, where you'll learn basic Soldiering skills, and 52 weeks of Advanced Individual Training. Training consists of both classroom and field work.
- Paid training
- A monthly paycheck
- Montgomery GI Bill
- Federal and State tuition assistance
- Retirement benefits for part-time service
- Low-cost life insurance (up to $400,000 in coverage)
- 401(k)-type savings plan
- Student Loan Repayment Program (up to $50,000, for existing loans)
- Health care benefits available
- VA home loans
- Bonuses, if applicable
- Most non-prior service candidates will earn between $200 and $250 per drill weekend, subject to change
- Military enlistment in the Army National Guard
- Must be at least a junior in high school, or have a high school diploma or a GED certificate
- Must be between the ages of 17 and 35
- Must be able to pass a physical exam and meet legal and moral standards
- Must meet citizenship requirements (see NATIONALGUARD.com for details)
Requires military enlistment. Programs and benefits are subject to change. Ask your Army National Guard recruiter for the most up-to-date information. Actual MOS assignment may depend on MOS availability.
This position may qualify for a bonus, ask your National Guard recruiter for the most up-to-date information.
Keywords: Army National Guard, Smyrna , 68K Medical Laboratory Specialist, Healthcare , Smyrna, Tennessee
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!